Winter is upon us which means sitting around a nice warm fire, red wine & maybe watching your favourite footy team on the TV. It also when the waters around the Antartica get even colder and the majestic Southern Right Whales start their annual migration north to South America, South Africa, New Zealand and along the stunning coastline of the Eyre Peninsula, South Australia.
Annual Migration Through the Great Australian Bight
This annual mammal migration occurs each May as the Southern Right’s leave their traditional feeding grounds to the semi protected environments and warmer waters along the Great Australian Bight to give birth, breed, nurse their young & socialise. One of the very best places to see and immerse yourself with these incredible Eubalaena Australis baleen whales, is along the Far West coast of South Australia and Australian Coastal Safaris has an outstanding whale watching tour to include close up, guaranteed viewings of this stunning, world class wildlife relocation.
Personalised marine wildlife encounter!
Australian Coastal Safaris provides personalised wildlife experiences and this winter whale watching and wildlife encounter is no exception with many highlights throughout this exceptional 5D5N tour including:
- A 2 hour boating cruise in the historic coastal hamlet of and exquisite Fowlers Bay, where you will see up to ten times more whales than local residents, just in the bay! Humpback Whales are also in residence along with pods of Common & Bottlenose Dolphins, Australian Sea Lions, Long Nosed Furl Seals, Little Penguins, Osprey, White Bellied Sea Eagles, rare species of Albatross and many other ocean birds.
- Listen to realtime underwater acoustics of the Humpback Whales
- Visiting the spectacular Bunda Cliffs along the iconic Nullarbor Plain – one of Australia’s best road trips and the worlds longest golf course
- Viewings of over 100 whales & calves, often just 50m away from the Head of the Bight viewing platform & Interpretation Centre
- Pristine and clear waters of the Southern Ocean and untouched natural beauty from the Nullarbor National Park and Regional Reserve plus the Great Australian Bight Marine Park
- Dingo sightings & many viewing opportunities of the Southern Hairy Nosed Wombat, largest burrowing marsupial
- Arts Ceduna – The Premier Aboriginal Art Centre on the Eyre Peninsula where you will meet local artists see their artwork, in their beautiful arts gallery
Seafood, wine, wildlife & much more in Port Lincoln
This tour also takes you along the most spectacular coastal scenery in South Australia ranging from ancient cliffs to stunning, long footprint free beaches bordered by massive sand dunes from Ceduna to the Seafood Capital of Australia, Port Lincoln. We’ll be visiting the major attractions and highlights along this 450km journey to include Streaky Bay, Murphy’s Haystacks, one of Australia’s largest sea lion population at Point Labatt, Talia Caves, Cummings Monument and incredible landscapes through prime agricultural country, to we reach our destination in Port Lincoln.
If you love seafood, beautiful wines surrounded by more native wildlife around that warm winter fire, then this is the perfect way to finish up a remarkable tour, in a uncharted part of Australia. Other features included on your stay in this fishing mecca are:
- Witness first-hand the diversity of the Port Lincoln National Park – from the naturally rugged and wild Sleaford Bay and the Southern Ocean to the tranquility of the Spalding Cove area and other beautiful beaches
- 4WDriving amongst the massive sand dune systems of Eyre Peninsula’s rugged south and west coast
- Coastal trekking and exceptional photography opportunities
- Birdwatching with over 160 native species
- Visit one of Australia’s very best natural habitats to view over 50 different koalas in the wild, plus kangaroos, emus and birdlife in a sensational, private property
With the very best viewings of the Southern Right Whales seen between June to September, all accommodation, inclusions details and scheduled departure dates can be viewed on our website during these times. If these dates don’t suit you, please contact us to request a date that suits you and we can work in with your travel plans. Tours will be conducted in one of our very comfortable Toyota Landcruiser VX 4WD with a maximum of 6 passengers making this a personalised and authentically-designed tour. Private tours are also available on request.
What are you waiting for?
Join us at Australian Coastal Safaris, for a genuine Southern Right Whale and wildlife bucket list experience this winter!
“What a wonderful and memorable week we had with you.That sense of quiet, calm security that pervaded the Top of the Bight with The Southern Right Whales and the calves appearing so at home. My pride in my Country achieving as much as it can in protecting such amazing whales. The Bunda Cliffs stretching forever into the distance, highlighted of course by wine at sunset with your memorable pickings.”
“All these experiences were highlighted by your enthusiasm, knowledge and hospitality (oh the lunches especially the prawn). Sunset at Ceduna and so moved to meet such a talented young man as Ashley Pompey at the Arts Centre in Ceduna.The truckies at the Nullarbor Roadhouse had to be seen to be believed. And then the Food!!”
“Face to face with koalas in the wild when I thought I had ‘done’ koalas. Your personal inside knowledge of the people and industry of the area provided us with a special, not to be beaten adventure.Thank you.”
Michele, Sydney, NSW
Michele joined us on our 5-day Whale Watching & Eyre Peninsula Wildlife Tour, August 2018