Winter Whale Watching & Wildlife Encounter
5 DAYS, 5 NIGHTS
Your opportunity to view majestic southern right and humpback whales
Imagine being able to see first hand some of the ocean’s most majestic leviathans frolicking in the shallow waters of the Great Australian Bight. Australian Coastal Safaris lets you experience southern right and humpback whales as they venture near the coast to birth and rear their young.
Your tour kicks off at with an overnight stay at Ceduna before heading west across the Nullabor to Fowlers Bay where an oceanic cruise awaits. Get up close and personal with the whales, plus dolphins, sea lions and fur seals, white-bellied sea eagles,little penguins and rare species of albatross. Be amazed as we drop a hydrophone over the side of the boat to pick up the latest chattering of the mighty humpback.
A 200 km afternoon trip to the Head of the Bight Viewing Platform will allow you view southern right whales en masse, as they congregate to give birth to their calves.
Further viewing opportunities are waiting for you at Bunda Cliffs between the Head of the Bight and the WA border where two locations offer views of awe-inspiring 120 metre-high limestone cliffs formed more than 65 million years ago.
There’s even more to see on our return trip to Ceduna and subsequent journey right down to the bottom of the Eyre Peninsula to Port Lincoln passing through coastal towns and attractions including Smoky Bay, Perlubie Beach, Streaky Bay, Point Labatt, Murphy’s Haystacks, Talia Caves, Elliston, and much more.
In Port Lincoln, you’ll get to see wildlife of a different kind as visits to the tiny coastal hamlet of Tulka, Port Lincoln National Park, and Mikkira Stations will have you spotting all manner of beautiful and endangered animals, more than 130 species of birds, and rare, native plant life.
Finish off with a platter of local produce and a glass or two of local wine while you reflect on the last five days and listen to the sounds of the region’s extraordinary birdlife.
What a wonderful and memorable week we had, the sense of quiet, calm security that pervaded the Top of the Bight with The Southern Right Whales and the calves appearing so at home, coming face to face with koalas in the wild when I thought I had “done” koalas, all these experiences were highlighted by your enthusiasm and your personal inside knowledge of the people and industry of the area provided us with a special, not to be beaten adventure. Thank you.
- View the most spectacular coastal scenery in South Australia ranging from ancient cliffs to stunning, long footprint-free beaches bordered by massive sand dunes
- Visit the spectacular Bunda Cliffs and Head of the Bight lookouts
- Marvel at the pristine and clear waters of the Southern Ocean and the untouched natural beauty from the Nullarbor National Park and Regional Reserve plus the Great Australian Bight Marine Park, the stunning east coast of South Australia, and the Port Lincoln National Park.
- Cruise Fowlers Bay while spotting the majestic southern right whale, the humpback whale, with their calves, pods of dolphins, Australian sea lions, NZ fur seals and white-bellied sea eagles, little penguins and some rare species of albatross.
- Visit Point Labatt, the only place on the mainland where Australian seal pups can be seen learning to swim, play, and rest on the beach
- Check out Murphy’s Haystacks, an outcrop of unique pink granite boulders, amazing Talia Caves and Cummings Monument
- See an abundance of seabirds, shorebirds, songbirds, parrots (including the beautiful Port Lincoln parrot) and raptors including osprey and white-bellied sea eagles
- Look out for western grey kangaroos, emus, koalas and Rosenberg’s goannas, plus so much more.
- Interact with our iconic koalas at beautiful Mikkira Station.
Popular add-on options include:
- Day trip to cage dive with Great White Sharks
- One night accommodation at the Nullarbor Roadhouse, two nights accommodation at the Ceduna Foreshore Hotel, two nights accommodation at Port Lincoln Hotel – Ocean View Room OR two nights accommodation at South Point beach house — private tour
- Touring with professional, local and experienced guides
- Transport in luxury 4WD Land-Cruiser
- Airport transfers
- All daily activities, permit and entry fees based on itinerary
- All National Park & other entry fees
- Daily Continental breakfasts
- Daily lunches
- Dinners – Only on Private Tours when staying at South Point Beach House
- Waters, soft drinks, tea, coffee, local produce, local wines & beer
- Birds of Southern Eyre Peninsula Pocket Guide book
Enquire about this tour
You might also like these tours
A beautiful house right on the beachfront. Guests will want for nothing, as the hosts have thought of everything. I can only highly recommend this beautiful house.